Wednesday 27 April 2011

Tane the Tui

A few months back, I was asked by my current workplace, Wellington Zoo, to design a mascot for the zoo to use in signage about 'Year of the Forest'.  The idea was simply a cartoon Tui, and once he was designed, the name 'Tane' was chosen (named after Tāne Mahuta, the Maori god of the forests).

I did two images in the end - one of the Tui sitting and another waving.  I coloured both in marker and also provided the ink outlines, which then went to marketing.  He was then simplified in colour for printing, and eventually he was ready to go. 

You can now see the images around the zoo including banners, posters and even on rub-on tattoos that we give to the kids when they visit the zoo. :)

Below is my final colour for one of the images, along with some of the wooden outdoor pannels that are currently being used with the Tane image on them.

It was pretty cool being able to do some work that could be featured around the zoo.  Since then I've also done a couple of South American style paintings which feature in the new enclosure for Emperor Tamarins and Pygmy Marmosets.

Hopefully, I can do some more art for the zoo in the future too!